Sunday NFL Countdown on ESPN- September 23, 2012
ESPN is getting prepped for another edition of Sunday NFL Countdown.
Chris Berman will host with analysts Cris Carter, Mike Ditka, Tom Jackson and Keyshawn Johnson, as well as Suzy Kolber, Merril Hoge and Ron Jaworski will preview NFL week three games. ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter and senior analyst Chris Mortensen will provide the day’s headlines and league news.
Correspondents Ed Werder (Tampa Bay at Dallas), Rachel Nichols (Kansas City at New Orleans), George Smith (Cincinnati at Washington), Josina Anderson (Houston at Denver) and Sal Paolantonio (New England at Baltimore) will report from five games.
From ESPN PR, here is the line-up of topics expected to be discussed on the show:
- Demaryius Thomas: After catching the 80-yard winning touchdown in overtime as the Broncos upset the Steelers in last year’s AFC Wild Card game, wide receiver Demaryius Thomas has become one of quarterback Peyton Manning’s favorite targets. Thomas’ rise to stardom is a testament to his drive and perseverance. His mother and grandmother are currently in prison for selling illegal drugs. Tom Jackson chronicles Demaryius’ rise, from a shattered home to an NFL starting wide receiver.
- Vernon Davis: A memorable moment from the 2008 season was San Francisco 49ers head coach Mike Singletary banishing tight end Vernon Davis from the field during a game. Since then, Davis has become a leader and has cited that moment as a turning point in his career. On Sunday, Davis and the 49ers visit the Minnesota Vikings, where Singletary is now an assistant coach. Trent Dilfer looks back at that moment and the different paths Davis and Singletary have taken since the incident.
- E:60 – Rob Gronkowski: Countdown will air part of a Jeremy Schaap E:60 feature, “Get Gronk’d,” with arguably the best tight end in the game – one who hardly fits the Patriots’ mold. In the feature, Emmy Award winning reporter Schaap discovers what it’s like hanging around with the Gronk, especially on a shopping expedition. The full feature will air Tuesday, Sept. 25, at 7pm on ESPN. (E:60 is ESPN’s Sports Emmy Award winning primetime news magazine.)
- Eric Mangini Film Room – Patriots at Ravens: Former member of the Patriots coaching staff Eric Mangini will present an Xs and Os analysis of the Patriots at Ravens game and offer key matchups to watch.
- Hot Topics: Countdown will debate the impact of the replacement referees on the NFL’s image and the integrity of the game; whether Bears quarterback Jay Cutler’s public berating of his offensive lineman will lead him to lose the team; and more.